Quick Facts about the LSP Governance Committee
By Doug Achterman, Gavilan College and Past President, Council of Chief Librarians, and Co-Chair of the LSP Governance Committee
The purpose of the Library Services Platform Governance Committee is to advise and guide the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office (CCCCO), the Council of Chief Librarians (CCL) and the California Community Colleges Technology Center (CCCTC) on the deployment and management of Library Services Platform (LSP) Project for the California Community Colleges.
The committee serves these functions:
- Reviews progress and provides input on program planning.
- Establishes uniform system standards and policies and recommends effective practices
- Solicits input from respective constituent groups to inform the committee
- Communicates project status to respective constituent groups and the field.
- Provides recommendations to the CCCCO, CCL and CCCTC on program activities.
Currently, the committee includes representatives from the following groups (with the number of representatives following the group):
- Academic Senate for California Community Colleges (ASCCC) — 2
- California Community Colleges Chief Instructional Officers (CCCCIO) — 1
- CCC Chief Information Systems Officers Association (CISOA) — 1
- Ex Libris Users of North America (ELUNA) — 2
- Community College League of California (CCLC) Library Consortium Director — 1
- Library and Learning Resources Programs Advisory Committee (LLRPAC) — 1
- LSP Task Force/CCL Representative — 5
- Student Senate for California Community Colleges (SSCCC) — 1
- Vanguard Member - Large School — 1
- Vanguard Member - Medium School — 1
- Vanguard Member - Small School — 1
- Work Group Member - Analytics — 1
- Work Group Member - Cataloging — 1
- Work Group Member - Circulation — 1
- Work Group Member - Discovery & User Experience — 1
- Work Group Member - Electronic Resource Management/Acquisitions — 1
- Work Group Member - Professional Development — 1
- Work Group Member - Systems — 1
The members of the Library Services Platform Governance Committee are appointed every two years by the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office. Faculty are appointed by the Academic Senate. A list of current Governance Committee members can be viewed at https://cccnext.jira.com/wiki/spaces/CLSPP/pages/799113827/Governance+Committee+Members. “Vanguard Members” above are representatives from vanguard--or pilot--colleges that went through data migration and staff training as a trial run; their work informed the overall design of the statewide project and their place as part of the Governance Committee was instrumental in the early stages of the project. Co-chairs, currently Doug Achterman from Gavilan College and Eve Miller from Santa Rosa Junior College, are elected by the committee annually.
Much of the work of the committee is accomplished through eight functional work groups, whose leads sit on the governance committee. Over 80 library faculty and staff from throughout the state sit on these work groups, which include:
- Acquisitions and Electronic Resource Management
- Discovery and UX
- Professional Development
These groups research and develop effective practice recommendations in their respective work areas. Where statewide policies are required, these groups draft policy recommendations, solicit input from the field through LSP and CCL listservs, revise those recommendations, and submit them to the Governance Committee for approval.
The Governance Committee meets either virtually or face-to-face monthly. Its work, including the resources provided by the Work Groups, is documented and available through the LSP Project site: https://cccnext.jira.com/wiki/spaces/CLSPP/overview.